(Photo courtesy of S. Balcomb)
Have you ever ran into the grocery store after three items and ended up leaving with bags and bags of groceries? I am a victim of this scenario almost every time I step foot into the grocery store. Sometimes I may even make a list of the certain few things that I need and still end up leaving with at least fifteen items. Almost 100% of the reasoning for this is because of the product placement of the items in the stores. The marketers are going to get you every way possible.
Have you ever payed attention to how the milk and eggs are normally located at the very back of the store? There is a reason for this! The reason being is that milk and eggs nine out of ten times are going to be at least one of the three things that are on your list. As you are on your merry little way to the back you will notice the Little Debbie cakes poking out there on the side rack. Who doesn’t need a Little Debbie cake, Right?! As you continue to make way to the milk there is also a twelve pack of Mt Dew “on special”. Of course, you only have like five Mt Dew’s left anyway, why not pick up a pack while it’s “on special”?!. It’s crazy how well they have this all worked out for us poor college kids to blow our whole check on one trip to the store going only after necessities.
Linked here are a few tips to help you save while running into the grocery store after milk and eggs.

Amy,
ReplyDeleteI really liked this blog post because it is so very true. Almost every store has a special place for everything and almost everything is in the same location at every store. (Except this one time when the paper towels took up the entire other side of the aisle across from frozen foods...it was weird.)
I really like what you brought up about milk and eggs being in a spot where you have to go all the way to the back to get it. You'll pass so many other things on the way there that it's hard not to buy them.
I totally agree with you when you said that this makes it easy for college students to blow their whole check. I don't even have a job right now but when I go grocery shopping I almost always wind up with something I don't need spending money I don't have.
I really enjoyed this blog and look forward to reading more!
Cardinal