How often do you find yourself on a social networking site on a daily basis? I’m sure you’ve never even payed attention to how many times you get on Facebook within a 24 hour time frame, have you?! It is as easy as unlocking your phone and clicking on the Facebook app nowadays.
The more often we get on the social networking site the more business we gain for, Mark Zuckerburg, founder of Facebook. On April 4, 2004, Mark Zuckerburg from Palo Alto , California , age 21 published the social networking website, Facebook. He claims that he never planned on it being such a large success. He never even meant for it to be a huge communication website. All he had intended on doing was building a website where you could simply type in someone’s name and find out information on the specific person. He stated in the video that the website was costing him around $85 a month and for the first three months he had to rent computers in order to keep the site up and going.
With all that being said, Facebook has a huge success rate of atleast 75% of its users returning to the site on a daily basis. According to Foxbusiness.com, Matt Egan stated that, “Facebook has reportedly landed a $500 million investment from Goldman Sachs and a Russian investor that places a $50 billion implied price tag on the social networking giant.” (par. 2) In the video on the website, Fox business reporter, Ashley Websters explained, “Facebook is worth more than Time Warner, Ebay, American Express, Ford, and Target.” He also mentioned that, “Facebook has raised est. $1.3 billion in private investments.”
I don’t know about you, but I sure as heck would love to have been the one to have been sitting at home bored one April day and thought to create a website where others and can search one another and find out information on each other! I can’t even begin to wrap my head around these numbers!
Dear Amy,
ReplyDeleteWow, I had no idea that facebook was this successful, and I agree I wish it had been me that was bored one day too. Great blog.
“Facebook is worth more than Time Warner, Ebay, American Express, Ford, and Target.” More than Target...thats amazing! This quote stood out so much because Facebook is just facebook and Time Warner, Ebay and all those others are huge. Who would have thought Facebook would be even bigger.
There was nothing about your blog that I disagreed with. It was all very interesting.
Thank you for choosing such an interesting topic. It sure kept my attention.
oryx
Dear Writer,
ReplyDeleteI have read your piece and I have to say, I was quite impressed. I like that you focused on the topic social networking.“Facebook has reportedly landed a $500 million investment from Goldman Sachs." I had no idea that facebook was that successful. I thought it was something popular in the area i was living in, not worldwide. He also mentioned that, “Facebook has raised est. $1.3 billion in private investments.” I did not know that facebook raised money like that. I thought it was free. I will like to thank you for writing this blog about social networking. I will continue to keep up with your blogs
Mp #1 House Finch
Dear Amy,
ReplyDeleteIt is crazy to see how successful a simple website has come to be such an incredible success. Social networking is an part of most people's everyday lives. I can't think of one person in my family between the ages of 13-60 that doesn't have a Facebook account.
When you talked about getting on Facebook on your phone, it made me laugh. If I actually counted how many times I get on there on my phone, it would probably be well over 20 in one day. Like you said, it is just so easy just to hit that app button.
When you said that Facebook had risen $1.5 billion in private investments, that completely shocked me! I can't believe how much money one site can actually make. I would think their private investments have been a very good decision on their part.
Thank you for the great read. It really made me realize just how big of a deal social networking has become.
Springbok