How many of you own your very own pair of TOMS? Did you buy them for the fashion or for the knowledge of knowing that you also just gave a child somewhere without shoes their very own pair of TOMS as well? TOMS, to me, are one of the greatest inventions thus far! Blake Mycoskie, creator of TOMS, could honestly not be thanked nearly enough. Not only are the shoes fashionable, but they are also very durable, light weight, easy to clean, and on a one for one market. TOMS have made such a huge impact around the world other name brand lines such as, Ralph Lauren- Polo, and Element Skateboards are creating the same one for one marketing line.
If you are unaware, for every pair of TOMS you buy you are also giving a shoeless child a pair of TOMS as well. These are children whom live from day to day not even knowing what a pair of shoes is. A lot of these children are suffering from diseases and illnesses picked up from their feet due to not wearing shoes and having some kind of coverage over their feet. Can you even imagine walking outside for ONE whole day without having a pair of shoes on?!- No Way!
Blake Mycoskie was inspired when traveling to Argentina and noticing all the young children running around barefoot. That trip was what gave him the inspiration to create TOMS and help the needy children on a level that we could all relate to and be willing to do so. According to the TOMS website, “As of September 2010, TOMS has given over ONE MILLION pairs of new shoes to children in need through Giving Partners around the world.” (par. 4)
So next time you want to purchase a new pair of shoes, think about it! Go with TOMS and help a needy child out in the process! :)
(Photo courtesy of Steve Hopson) 

Dear Roles of Corporations in America,
ReplyDeleteI loved reading your blog post because I am personally a huge TOMS fan. It is such an amazing organization that truly helps meet the needs of children around the world. It is very interesting to learn even morea about it. I liked when you said, " Not only are the shoes fashionable, but they are also very durable, light weight, easy to clean, and on a one for one market." This sentence seems to make buying TOMS irresistable and it should be. I agree that they are all around good shoes and being for a good cause makes them even more desirable. The fact that one pair goes to a child in need is a lot of motivation for someone to go buy a pair. It is almost like sponsoring a foreign child. I also liked how you said, "A lot of these children are suffering from diseases and illnesses picked up from their feet due to not wearing shoes and having some kind of coverage over their feet." This statement points out the truth of the situation that some children live with on a daily basis. It sad to think that this actually goes on but good to think we can have a part in fixing it. I hope that this organization continues to grow. Thanks for writing! I will come back to your site if you keep blogging about topics I can relate to.
Britney Crawley
Dear Roles of Corporations in America,
ReplyDeleteI think this is one of my favorite blog posts yet. I love TOMS, although i don't have an actual pair of TOMS I've always meant to get some. I thinks the TOMS organization is amazing. I mean that sounds like the most amazing idea someone could come up with. People must be really proud of Blake Mycoskie.
The sentence where you said "Not only are the shoes fashionable, but they are also very durable, light weight, easy to clean, and on a one for one market.", is very true. I've heard all kinds of praise about TOMS shoes. My friends say that they are so comfortable. In fact I've seen my friends just wear TOMS for months on end because they are so comfortable.
Another part of the post that i liked was where it said "Can you even imagine walking outside for ONE whole day without having a pair of shoes on?!- No Way!". I would definitely not be able to walk outside without any shoes on. I mean if it was just out in the grass at my house it would be fine. Then again if it was at UCA or in the hallways of a high school it would definitely not be happening. There could be a bunch of disease like staff on the ground.
I loved this post a lot. I'm glad you decided to write about TOMS for one of your blog posts. TOMS will be famous for years to come. I hope to see more interesting topics on Non-profit organizations in the future.
Sincerely,
Klipspringer
Dear Roles of Corporations in America,
ReplyDeleteI myself am an owner of TOMS and not only are they cute shoes, but I love knowing that I helped a child out that is in need. TOMS support a great cause and I think there should be more charitable companies such as TOMS.
While TOMS is a great charitable company, when the subject of TOMS is brought up, I often have to ask myself exactly HOW helpful are TOMS, in reality? What I mean is this: the children that are given these shoes parents' and other relatives probably went years without shoes, and they survived. Shoes may be a convenience, but I'm thinking that these children are probably in need of something much greater than shoes, such as food and water. Also, if TOMS wanted to give children in need shoes, why would they not make the quality of the shoes better? TOMS are cute and all, but within a month of two of wearing them, they start forming holes and getting dirty.
Thank you for this post! I look forward to reading your blogs in the future.
Bunting
Dear writer,
ReplyDeleteI love TOMS! I recently just bought my first pair, and though I did it for fashion, I knew I was helping a child somewhere in the world without shoes!
It shocked me when I thought about how it would feel to walk around one whole day without wearing shoes. These kids have to go through that everday, and they even get diseases because of it!
I agree with the above comment. TOMS are a very very good idea, but the quality could be better. I understand that you are basically buying two for one, but my TOMS already have holes in them and I've only had them for about a month. These kids will probably wear them as long as they fit, and probably longer. I definitely agree that the quality should be better.
Thanks for this post; it was very interesting!
Genet